Balloons100 of the country’s premiere hot-air balloonists fly at the event
· A minimum of 100 hours pilot in charge flying time is required for pilots to be eligible for FWA competition
· FWA is an invitation only competitive flying event
· Total possible value of prize purse is Approximately $40,000 – Includes cash, prizes, and key grab competition for a new automobile
· Competitive Flying Events are held morning and/or evenings as balloons do not fly during midday hours due to winds and other conditions and include a variety of flying events (i.e., CNT’s, Hare and Hound, Key Grab) are used to create a points standings that awards daily race winners and an overall champion
· Non-Competitive Events include tethers and Glows held in the evening.Balloon Flight Schedule
Friday, May 23–Tether-6PM & Glow presented by SouthTrust Bank & WSSL 100.5 FM at dusk (approx 8:30 PM)
(tethered rides available Friday for $5 each)Saturday, May 24-7-9 A.M. & 6-8 P.M.
Sunday, May 25 – 6-8 P.M. & Glow presented by SouthTrust Bank & WSSL 100.5 FM at dusk (approx 8:30 PM)
Monday, May 26-7-9 A.M. & 6-8 P.M.
Schedule subject to change due to inclement weather, high winds, fog, and storms in the surrounding area
Special Shapes scheduled to appear: Apple, United Van Lines, Uniroyal Tire, Energizer Bunny – Subject to change
86 Balloons registered thus far
· Tethered rides – Tethered rides available Friday on the balloon launch field at 6 PM for $5. A tethered ride allows a passenger to float above the event site about 100 feet but the balloon is tied off to vehicles below. Arrangements may be made with pilots for rides after the event ends, just look for signs on the pilot vehicles. (Subject to change)